July 14 - Walker's Continental Divide to Dawson Peaks RV Resort
114 kilometres
The sheets we use always over estimate the distance that we have to travel. They've worked on the road and it's getting shorter with every improvement. While I'm typing this a motorcyle rider has talked about his webpage. Find it at userwww.service.emory.edu/~libssd/Alaska2006/index.html
We got a late start as I didn't wake up until 6:20. Jim heard me rustling around in my tent and started to get his stuff packed. We took our time with breakfast. I judged it the best one we've had on the road - the cook had no problem making me a Denver sandwich for breakfast - pan fries were included and everything was fresh. She warned us that it waas 80 miles to Teslin and it would be hilly.
The day started overcast and stayed that way but never rained. It was cool enough to wear my jacket all day and after climbing the first hill, I put on my neoprene gloves for the coast down. In fact, it was cool enough to wear the gloves all day. After about 58 we crossed a river and stopped.
While we sat eating lunch, we watched a helicopter pick up a load of material for a group of young men who have staked a mining claim and are on their way to work it. From lunch the cycling was easy, level or downhill and at the end of the day we had a tailwind.
With the tents set up I went for a shower. When I returned to the campsite I went to set up a clothesline and what was right there beside the tree but bear scat. It made me nervous so I asked the people running the camp about bears. Apparently, this afternoon they had to shoot a bear because it had not run away when it was shot at the first time. I wonder if I will sleep tonight.
The sheets we use always over estimate the distance that we have to travel. They've worked on the road and it's getting shorter with every improvement. While I'm typing this a motorcyle rider has talked about his webpage. Find it at userwww.service.emory.edu/~libssd/Alaska2006/index.html
We got a late start as I didn't wake up until 6:20. Jim heard me rustling around in my tent and started to get his stuff packed. We took our time with breakfast. I judged it the best one we've had on the road - the cook had no problem making me a Denver sandwich for breakfast - pan fries were included and everything was fresh. She warned us that it waas 80 miles to Teslin and it would be hilly.
The day started overcast and stayed that way but never rained. It was cool enough to wear my jacket all day and after climbing the first hill, I put on my neoprene gloves for the coast down. In fact, it was cool enough to wear the gloves all day. After about 58 we crossed a river and stopped.
While we sat eating lunch, we watched a helicopter pick up a load of material for a group of young men who have staked a mining claim and are on their way to work it. From lunch the cycling was easy, level or downhill and at the end of the day we had a tailwind.
With the tents set up I went for a shower. When I returned to the campsite I went to set up a clothesline and what was right there beside the tree but bear scat. It made me nervous so I asked the people running the camp about bears. Apparently, this afternoon they had to shoot a bear because it had not run away when it was shot at the first time. I wonder if I will sleep tonight.
0 Comments:
Post a Comment
<< Home